As we approach the new year it is customary to set personal goals and resolutions for the year ahead, do yours include baking ambitions?
As well as personal goals a new year is also a great opportunity to consider your business goals for the coming year, here are our top 5 New Year resolution suggestions for your bakery.
1. Be Inventive: This New Year is your opportunity to use your bakery experience confidently to try new things. Consider experimenting with new bakes (will you devise the cruffin of 2022?) and develop recipes which celebrate new or unusual flavours. Also look at celebrating seasonal ingredients.
2. Widen your product offering: Last month we discussed the current trend for cake and how cake is now an extremely popular desert (take a look at our article here). Now is the time to assess your current product offering and emend to ensure that you are maximising on your customer's demands and the county's current trends. Do not shy away from testing a new product type, the results may surprise you!
3. Implement 5S: Make 2022 the year that your bakery is as efficient as it possible can be and reap the financial rewards!
5S stands for the 5 steps of this methodology: Sort, Set in Order, Shine, Standardize, Sustain. These steps involve going through everything in a space, deciding what's necessary and what isn't, putting things in order, cleaning, and setting up procedures for performing these tasks on a regular basis. When there's a plan for making 5S an ongoing effort and not just a one-time event, it can be sustained over time.
Start your research here.
4. Celebrate national events: How will you ensure that you achieve high sales this Valentines Day? National events are a wonderful opportunity to show your creativity and ensure that your bakery achieves the sales it deserve. We previously write about how Easter offers a great opportunity for bakers, read more here. These events are also a great way to engage with your social media community.
5. Reach your customers in new ways: The pandemic forced our industry to find new ways to reach our customers and we need to continue a creative approach. We recently wrote about the trend of 'brownies by post' which is just one creative solution; is there a unique service which your bakery could offer which would delight your customers?